State of the City’s Housing & Neighborhoods
The State of New York City’s Housing and Neighborhoods in 2014 report, published annually by the NYU Furman Center, provides a compendium of data and analysis about New York City’s housing, land use, demographics, and quality of life indicators for each borough and the city’s 59 community districts.
The report combines timely and expert analysis of NYU Furman Center researchers with data transparency. It is presented in three parts:
Part 1: Focus on Density
Each year, the State of the City report describes, contextualizes, and provides analysis on a pressing and policy-relevant issue affecting New York City. In 2014, the report focuses on the evolution of density in New York City’s neighborhoods over time, whether this evolution has been accompanied by changes in New Yorkers’ quality of life, and how the city might accommodate future population growth.
Part 2: City-Wide Analysis
The City-Wide Analysis provides a broad, longitudinal analysis of the New York City's housing and neighborhoods. The chapter is divided into five parts: land use and the built environment; homeowners and their homes; renters and their homes; residents; and neighborhood services and conditions.
Part 3: City, Borough, and Community District Data
The data section provides current and historical statistics for over 50 housing, neighborhood, and socioeconomic indicators at the city, borough, and community district levels. It also includes indicator definitions and rankings; methods; and an index of New York City’s community districts and sub-borough areas.
Download the report (PDF, 9.03 MB)
Each section may be downloaded as an individual PDF file below.
- PART ONE: Focus on Density A focus chapter on the evolution of density in New York City’s neighborhoods over time, whether this evolution has been accompanied by changes in New Yorkers’ quality of life, and how the city might accommodate future population growth.
- PART TWO: City-Wide Analysis A broad, longitudinal analysis of New York City’s housing and neighborhoods, divided into five parts: land use and the built environment; homeowners and their homes; renters and their homes; residents; and neighborhood services and conditions.
- Land Use and the Built Environment
- Homeowners and their Homes
- Renters and their Homes
- Neighborhood Services and Conditions
- PART THREE: City, Borough, and Community District Data Current and historical statistics for over 50 housing, neighborhood, and socioeconomic indicators at the city, borough and community district levels.
- New York City
- The State of New Yorkers Data and analysis of New York City indicators by race.
- The Bronx
- Staten Island
- Indicator Definitions and Rankings
- About the Furman Center
- Acknowledgments & Table of Contents
- Errata (issued July 2015) Data presented in the sales volume and median sales price indicators were incomplete at the time of the report’s printing in May 2015. Revised data is reflected in this Errata. All report PDFs are current with updated data.
The data for each community district may be downloaded as an individual PDF file below.
- BX 01 Matt Haven/Melrose
- BX 02 Hunts Point/Longwood
- BX 03 Morrisania/Crotona
- BX 04 Highbridge/Concourse
- BX 05 Fordham / University Heights
- BX 06 Belmont/East Tremont
- BX 07 Kingsbridge Heights / Bedford
- BX 08 Riverdale / Fieldston
- BX 09 Parkchester / Soundview
- BX 10 Throgs Neck / Co-op City
- BX 11 Morris Park / Bronxdale
- BX 12 Williamsbridge / Baychester
- BK 01 Greenpoint / Williamsburg
- BK 02 Fort Greene / Brooklyn Heights
- BK 03 Bedford Stuyvesant
- BK 04 Bushwick
- BK 05 East New York / Starrett City
- BK 06 Park Slope / Carroll Gardens
- BK 07 Sunset Park
- BK 08 Crown Hts / Prospect Hts
- BK 09 S. Crown Hts / Lefferts Gardens
- BK 10 Bay Ridge / Dyker Heights
- BK 11 Bensonhurst
- BK 12 Borough Park
- BK 13 Coney Island
- BK 14 Flatbush / Midwood
- BK 15 Sheepshead Bay
- BK 16 Brownsville
- BK 17 East Flatbush
- BK 18 Flatlands / Canarsie
- MN 01 Financial District
- MN 02 Greenwich Village / Soho
- MN 03 Lower East Side / Chinatown
- MN 04 Clinton / Chelsea
- MN 05 Midtown
- MN 06 Stuyvesant Town / Turtle Bay
- MN 07 Upper West Side
- MN 08 Upper East Side
- MN 09 Morningside Heights / Hamilton
- MN 10 Central Harlem
- MN 11 East Harlem
- MN 12 Washington Heights / Inwood
- QN 01 Astoria
- QN 02 Woodside / Sunnyside
- QN 03 Jackson Heights
- QN 04 Elmhurst / Corona
- QN 05 Ridgewood / Maspeth
- QN 06 Rego Park / Forest Hills
- QN 07 Flushing / Whitestone
- QN 08 Hillcrest / Fresh Meadows
- QN 09 Kew Gardens / Woodhaven
- QN 10 S. Ozone Park / Howard Beach
- QN 11 Bayside / Little Neck
- QN 12 Jamaica / Hollis
- QN 13 Queens Village
- QN 14 Rockaway / Broad Channel